MY BITTER SWEET BIRTHDAY

Did I tell you about my last year July's birthday? It was awesome! It was the next best thing after Agbarumo. I have had great birthday moments, but the one I had last July was breathtaking!!! It was awesome!

I'm not the birthday-birthday type. I've only had a huge birthday once before. It was few years past, when my july birthday coincided with the week I wrote my final exam, and finally graduated from school. It was like a graduation/birthday party.

Since most students at school as at then also wrote their last paper that week, my birthday party became a sort of general graduation party for all. As it happened, a new hotel was opened within the same month close to my hostel.

So, as part of a public relations effort to advertise and create awareness for the new hotel, they offered their pool-side for my birthday celebration: free of charge! I invited my friends, and they invited theirs, and theirs invited theirs, and before you could say jack, my birthday party became the talk of the school.

So many people were anticipating it; who doesn't want to go and unwind after a long and tough examinations? My science department took it upon themselves to use my birthday to celebrate our graduation; so it was almost a departmental/yard/hotel event! Before I knew what was happening, the small birthday/graduation ceremony I was planning became a huge talk of the school: it became bigger than me. I was lucky to have a show-lady for a girlfriend, so she was basking at the euphoria of throwing such a huge party for her boyfriend! She did most of the invitations, did the banners, did the cake, decorations, hired the DJ and lots more. With a little token I could muster, she did the rest. The cooking part was awesome. She and her friends arranged and did the cooking! A half bag of rice produced 4 mini-coolers!

At a point, I became scared. Scared that my small birthday party has been hijacked! So many people showed interest and didn't hesitate to seek my permission for one live performance or the other. There were upcoming artists that volunteered to entertain the guests: stand-up comedians, dancers, choreographers, musicians and drama artists. I had like 14 arts listed already to perform.

A day to the birthday, many of the performers were coming with a demo copy of their CD's. My DJ, who happened to be a hostel mate was also trying to break into the business of DJ: so he was really excited to be in charge of such a great show. He rehearsed with those to perform group dance, rap and dance and others.

Finally, the D-day arrived. I had written my last paper two days back and had lots of rest the next day, hanging out with friends. Everyone was excited, even people that didn't know me were discussing the show. Some already started rumoring that they had 2-face was coming: some said it was P-square that would come. Others insisted that they heard the guy was related to wizboyy and he would certainly come. I was so sure that if fella was still alive, they would have rumored that he would come and perform!

The day came. I woke up excited that morning. It was really going to be great! After some time, I strolled down to the pool side of the hotel, venue of the yet to be biggest birthday/graduation party in school. My girl and her friends were busy with the decorations. There were no canopies at the pool side, just chairs. They were busy with the chair covers and setting the venue. I sat and watched them excitedly as they put in so much energy into the task. After a few hours, I retired back to my room.

It was a little after 10 in the morning and the birthday was scheduled to start by 4pm and end around 7pm, or till whenever people decide to stop dancing. Later on that day, the inevitable happened. It started raining! Have you met the worst of rains before? The kind of rain that comes with loud thunderstorms and unending torrents of waves? That was the kind of rain that graced my birthday.

It came right on time and didn't go until the supposed duration of the party. The rain started around 3pm and was on the loose for hours. It stops at intervals and picks up again: each break not extending past 5 - 10 minutes. By the time this rain ended by 9pm, it was obvious that my birthday had been ruined. No sane human being will step out inside that kind of rain. Not even I, the celebrant could step out of my room. It was over! The much touted birthday celebration was in ruins! I felt so sad about it! I felt terrible.

My girl was almost in tears: staring at the 4 coolers of rice, drinks and large birthday cake packed in my room. I was so convinced that my birthday had been ruined by the rain. When the rains ended by 9pm, everywhere was quiet. I stepped out of my room and went outside. It was so cold outside. I sat outside with few of my room mates. They were trying to cheer me up.

Minutes later, we started singing some songs to lighten up the mood. Then the DJ heard our voice and came out to join us. Then an idea came to his mind. Without informing us, he set his loudspeakers and stereos and started playing songs loud enough. We started dancing to it; and some other peeps joined us. Gradually, the entire students was outside dancing. The neighboring yard occupants came to join us. Within 30 minutes, our yard was filled up.

My friends brought out the food and drinks and started sharing it. The cake was brought out and I cut it, surrounded by friends. Finally, we succeeded in having a full-blown all-night party right inside my hostel premises. It was fun, it was exciting, it was the best birthday party I've ever had; at least, before 2015's own. Lol. There was lots to eat and drink for everybody. People far and wide kept trooping in even after midnight. I'm sure some of the guest didn't know what they even came for. Some thought it was the yard's end of exam party, others thought it was just a party. As long as their was free food, drinks, dance and party, count the students in. It was great indeed...just when I thought it was all over. But my last month's was awesome!!!

 Seems I've written too much already! I wanted to tell you about my last year's birthday but ended up telling you about a birthday party that happened years ago! Anyway, there's always a next time.

 Innit?

 See ya next time!

Popular posts from this blog

MTN WAHALA

HAPPY MATRICULATION TO ME__Bob Ugee